Export CAD with smoother meshing

• 14 February 2021
  • 3 replies

• Single Emitter
  • 1 reply

Hi,

Is there any way to export a CAD of the lens with smoother meshing? I tried changing the segment splicing but it didn't help a lot.

Best,

Eva

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Eva,

You can improve the resolution by increasing the drawing resolution in the object properties (at the expense of computation time):

Best,

Berta

Thank you for your help! I did this change in sequential mode respectively and the design improved but still hasn't great quality ...  Do you think changing my design to NS will make any difference? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Eva,

Thanks for your follow-up posts here! If I'm understanding correctly, you're exporting directly from Sequential Mode, but you're wondering if there's any benefit to exporting from Non-Sequential Mode. Am I correct on this?

I'm not aware of any reasons why there'd be a difference in a sequential export of your biconic lens versus a non-sequential model that is then exported, but it might be worth a try. The only situation I can think of where there may be slight differences in what is generated in Sequential vs Non-Sequential Mode is when one surface of an element might be tilted with Coordinate Breaks or through the Surface Properties. I don't believe this applies to you, though I am basing my assumption of what you're trying to export on the first file you shared on the forum thread here.

In addition, do you happen to have 'Use ACIS Libraries' checked, or is it unchecked? You can see the setting in the Project Preferences (Setup tab...Project Preferences):

It could also be worth changing the setting from what you currently have to see if the exporting changes behavior either way.

In any case, it might be helpful if we were able to see your file first-hand to potentially make more comments on it. I can understand if you're hesitant to share it on the forums here, though -- you can feel free to submit a case through the MyZemax portal in case that's a route you'd like to take.

Let us know how these thoughts work out for you!

~ Angel