Solved

Errors when creating NSC 2D Plot

• 14 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’m trying to make a NSC 2D plot where I sweep the incidence angle of light going into a cuboid sample and use the NSRA operand to determine the path length. This is an example using a 2 degree incidence angle:

However, there are some instances where the NSRA operand gives an error (‘Geometry error. Run the NSC Ray Trace tool for more information.’)  I think the issue might be when the incidence light and output light are collinear with each other (so they overlap, essentially) but I might also be wrong. An example of this is when the incidence light is 0 degrees.

What happens then is when I try to make a NSC 2D plot, there are certain step counts that are invalid, causing the whole graph to give an error:

Is there a way to ignore these instances when making the 2D plot?

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 14 August 2023, 21:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No, there isn’t. It’s better to find what’s causing the error and fix it.

There’s a ‘Create Error Ray’ tool that will create a single ray from the last known geometry error, so you can see what’s causing the error.

• M

Hi Mark, thank you for your rely!

I tried looking into it further and it seems like the issue is coming from the beam abruptly stopping at not propagating further even though it should. Here is a screenshot of what I mean by this:

I am not sure why it does this. Can you provide some insights on how I can solve this?

Many thanks in advance.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

A ray will only travel so far before it runs out of allocated segments or it loses too much energy and is discarded. If that diagram is showing a single ray then it has gone through a lot of material and had many reflections, so it is probably become too low in energy to continue.