Solved

Error while running Ray trace tool

• 29 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am geeting the error while running the Zemax ray trace tool. Layout is coming nicely but ray tracing is not happing.

I am attaching the screenshot and the Zemax file of my design, can you please help me out.

I tried hard but I couldn’t rectify the problem.

icon

Best answer by David 29 December 2021, 18:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Chandan,

Ray trace geometry errors are often caused by analysis rays that hit the edge of a geometry or a vertex or some other region where the surface slope is undefined. When that happens the ray trace produces an error because it can’t determine the trajectory of the reflected or refracted ray.

Often these errors are unimportant. When I run a trace on your model I also get an error. It’s in a different place, likely because my trace used different rays, but it’s likely similar.

When I run the trace this is the report:

You can see that Lost energy due to errors is 2.30E-09. This is likely unimportant, so that the results of the trace can be trusted.

If the lost energy due to errors is unacceptable, then OpticStudio has tools for locating the source of the errors. They are described in Knowledge Base Article here. The article provides a lot of useful information.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks a lot for your comment.