Error in Target ___ Cannot Launch Ray

• 13 February 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge
When I open my merit function, I will sometimes get an error that pops up over and over again that says "Error in Target ___ Cannot Launch Ray". The blank is a number which is a line in my merit function where apparently there is a ray failure of some kind. This requires me to close out a lot of windows, often leading to Opticstudio crashing. It's strange because it is a well behaved lens, and I have gone through weeks of optimization to close in on a final solution and am basically finished, when all of a sudden I get ray errors causing a crash. It happens when I use RMS wavefront as my criteria. When I switch to Contrast, I do not get the errors, however I do not want to use contrast because RMS wavefront ends up giving me a better solution. 

Is there a way to ignore the errors so the pop ups don't happen? I could not find anything in the tabs that did this. Or is there a way to further diagnose the errors? When it crashes, I am obviously unable to see what went wrong since I have to restart. And, closing out multiple error pop ups and crashing is causing significant unproductivity. I have version 20.1. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hello Stephen

That error is documented in our help files under The Setup Tab > Diagnostics Group > OpticStudio Error Codes.

There is currently no way to ignore these errors.

But as it is explained in the help file, I would try to trace one of this "error" ray using the Single Ray Trace and see if you can safely ignore it by setting vignetting factors.

The software at no point should crash. Could you run Zemax File Collector under Help and send at support@zemax.com the zip diagnostic package?

Let us know if that helps.

Thank you!
Badge
Hello Sandrine,

Thanks for the reply. I have sent the Diagnostics package to support@zemax.com along with my .zar file. Hopefully it can be resolved!