Enable Polarization with GMTA

• 30 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

For GMTA or any operand that is related to an analysis window (MTF operands or Spot operands), is there a way to enable the polarization feature from the analysis window with the GMTA operand? I would like the merit function to consider the “Use Polarization” value of the GMTA for optimization and for Universal Plots.

Here you can see the difference between the two Geometric MTF analysis windows for the same system when using the “Use Polarization” option.

Here is the first MTF plot without the “Use Polarization” option. The tangential MTF performance at 1.0 cyc./mr is about 0.18.

Geometric MTF plot without the “Use Polarization”

Now with the “Use Polarization” option enabled. This returns a tangential MTF performance of about 0.6 cyc./mr.

Geometric MTF plot with the “Use Polarization”

The GMTT operand in the merit function returns the same value as reported in the analysis plot that does not use the “Use Polarization” option.

The GMTT operand returns the MTF tangential value without considering polarization.

Is there a way to report the MTF value considering the “Use Polarization” box in the merit function? If not, please consider this question a feature request.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Michael.Young!

I checked as sometimes some operands like POPD require the user to press on Save in the analysis to include the settings that are not available as inputs in the merit function operand:

Unfortunately that doesn’t make a difference.

I will submit a feature request. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Sandrine,

Thank you for your reply! I had not thought of using the save feature to pass the settings to the merit function. Thank you for checking to see if that would help. It is too bad that it doesn’t.

Sincerely,

Michael