Solved

Draw Edge

• 9 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello everyone,

I am trying to give the exact view to my lens using the draw menu, but I couldn't give the desired shape edge to my lens yet.

Any help is appreciated

icon

Best answer by David 10 June 2021, 19:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Onder,

The Draw Edge As and the Clear Semi-Diameter are both important. In the illustration below, note that the Clear Semi-Diameter of surface 1 extends to the begining of the edge -- it is smaller than that of surface 2. In this case, the flat extends from the clear semi-diameter of surface 1 out to its mechanical semi-diameter, which is chosen to match that of surface 2.

Kind regards,

David

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi David 

I thank to your response. However my expectation is exactly as the shape I gave at the uppermost picture.

I can give the form as you describe but I want to give the step form to the upper edge.  

If something is not clear please let me know, afterall I want to achive my lens shape expectation.

Thank you in advance

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Sorry, Onder.  I see my first answer missed the point.

I don't know of a way to do what you want in sequential mode. However, it is possible to do this in non-sequential mode. It uses a method similar to what you would use in most 3D CAD programs. You can start with a Standard Lens object and subtract from it an Annular Volume object designed to remove the notch. This can be done using the Boolean Native object. The original lens and annuar volume can then be set for Do Not Draw and Rays Ignore in their respective settings.

The lens can be designed in non-sequential, or could be created by a convert to NSC from an original sequential design. This might be part of the workflow already if a stray light analysis is being done.

I don't know of a way to produce a drawing of this notched lens, since drawings in OpticStudio are produced from sequential mode, but you could certainly export the notched lens as a CAD object.

I attach a ZAR file as an example.

Kind regards,

David

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you so much for your help David

The attachment is very helpful

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can do this using a dummy surface inside the lens, effectively making it a doublet with the same glass used for both elements. Try setting the intermediate surface to ‘do not draw’ to hide it.