Solved

Does Zemax have a library of objectives from major vendors?

Badge +1

Hi,

Does Zemax have a library of objectives from major vendors?

If we want to design a system with the objective from, for instance, Edmunds optics, where can we get detailed prescription information of the objective?

Thanks,

Ying

[Mod edit]: Moved to Got a Question forum as this is a general question not relating to OB specifically.

icon

Best answer by David 21 May 2022, 19:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Ying,

In the top menu bar under Libraries there is a Lens Catalog library containing lenses from many different vendors. You can browse or search by various lens parameters and insert a found lens in your design. Afterwards you might need to use the Reverse Lens tool to obtain the required orientation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We also have a design template but the designs are from the literature:

Badge +1

Hi David and Auriol,

Thanks for your information.

I am asking about are kind of complex objective, for instance, 58-371 (Edmunds optics). I couldn’t get any detailed information about it.

By the way I didn’t see the feature of design template on the  Zemax (version 20.1)

Thanks,

Ying

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Ying,

Designs for complex lenses like that are usually considered proprietary by the vendor. They will sometimes proved a “black box” version for OpticStudio, but almost never the prescription.

The design templates might be missing because of your version of OpticStudio.

Badge +1

Hi David,

Do you know to what level we can make use of blackbox? It will be diffraction limited for modeling, and no aberrations, correct?

Thanks,

Ying

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I don’t know the limitations. Hopefully we will hear from @Sandrine Auriol .

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

An OpticStudio BlackBox (ZBB) can reproduce almost any sequential analysis; the ZBB is essentially the entire Lens Data Editor in encrypted form (including radii, thicknesses, materials, coatings, and parameters) and when it’s loaded in memory, OpticStudio does not know the difference between a ZBB and “real” file.  It’s just encrypted to the user so you can’t see any of the details.  Therefore, except what is documented in the Help Files, a BlackBox is as good as the actual design.

There are a few areas where the ZBB will fail but these are not typical for a commercial OTS component:

• cannot run any tolerances (cannot add any coordinate breaks or change surface types)
  • cannot run thermal analysis (individual surfaces are not exposed in the LDE so cannot change radii, thickness, material)
  • cannot run stray light analysis (cannot convert to non-sequential mode)
  • cannot produce zoom lenses (MCE is not supported for ZBB in general)
  • cannot use ZPL solves (sometimes needed for complex designs/analysis)

Does anyone else know of other limitations of BlackBoxes? 

Badge +1

I know that it doesn’t support POP analysis.