Solved

Creating Ellipsoidal Surface in Non-Sequential Mode

• 17 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi!

I am a student learning Zemax and optics as a field. I have been working on designing an Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight (ERS) in OpticStudio and am having trouble creating an ellipsoidal surface to serve as the reflector. I have tried using standard surfaces and searching online to find any information that would help me to do so, yet I have found very little. What would be the easiest/most efficient way to create this object?

Thank you for your help in advance!

icon

Best answer by David 18 November 2022, 16:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

Ellipsoidal (or elliptical) surfaces can be created in sequential or non-sequential modes using a Standard Surface with the appropriate radius and conic constant, the values of which can be determined by optimization.

For non-sequential mode, you can use either a Standard Surface or a Standard Lens. You could also create the desired lens in sequential mode and convert it to non-sequential using the built-in tool.

In the attached non-sequential file, the reflector is a Standard Surface. A Source Two Angle fills the reflector and the reflected rays strike a detector. The source and detector are placed at the intended foci of the reflector. The Optimization Wizard is used to generate a merit function that targets the RMS spot size to zero. The radius and conic constant of the reflector are variables. (Ignore Errors is set on the NSTR operand.)

Dear David,

Sir, I am working on Lenticular sheets (where object in near vicinity becomes Invisbile in contrast to the background [see the attached picture for reference]) & want to simulate the same on Zemax.

May you please guide me as how to simulate the Background, Object & Light source and the subsequent effect when viewed through the Lenticular sheets in Zemax.

Regards

Gaurav

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I have no experience with this. I suggest waiting to see if someone responds to your earlier post on the same subject.