Solved

Coupling efficiency

• 6 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi Official,

I am trying to couple the collimated light from input source, mode field diameter or size or clear semi dia of input surface is in nanometers and then MFD of receiver end is in micrometer as shown in drawing below

Coupling efficiency data of this design is below 

Receiver efficiency is only 0.003. May I know how can i improve the receiver efficiency? Even though when input surface is very very near to output surface but receiver efficiency is still 0.003. Please advise on the possible solution? 

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 16 September 2022, 12:02

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Saif

The receiver efficiency can be retrieved with POPD operands and so you could potentially optimize your system to get a good efficiency.

But I would first recommend that the propagation goes well in POP as POP is sometimes difficult to set-up, namely check that the phase is correctly sampled at each surface. Have a look at those articles to learn how to do that:

Using Physical Optics Propagation (POP), Part 1: Inspecting the beams 

Using Physical Optics Propagation (POP), Part 2: Inspecting the beam intensities

Using Physical Optics Propagation (POP), Part 3: Inspecting the beam phases

Feel free to share your file if needed (you will need to create a zip to be able to attach it)

Badge

Hi Sandrine,

Thank you for your response. I used POPD but it did not help.  I have attached my zip file, please advise. 

Sincerely

saif

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Saif

Sorry but the zip file only contains a ZDA file, which is a session file. The session file is about the windows you have opened, etc…

Can you save your file as a zar? This way it will save the zmx (design) as well as the session file and any needed configuration file. Thank you.

(There is an article that explains this here https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005576422-What-are-the-ZDA-and-CFG-Files-)

Badge

Hi Sandrine

Sorry for incorrect file. Now i am trying to attach but it says incorrect file type. So i am attaching zmx version and zox version. Please advise if you have problem in opening the file. 

sincerely

saif

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Saif!

In POP, you have entered a waist X/Y of 0.000155mm, that is 0.155um. 

If I convert this into a divergence angle that gives an angle of 72.56 degrees in X and in Y. POP displays a warning message in the propagation report:

And basically this can’t be modelled with POP as it breaks the algorithm assumptions behind POP: 

It seems like this can be solved with Lumerical though. I can put you in contact with one of our Lumerical engineers if you need.

Let me know if I misunderstood.