Solved

Correcting field curvature

• 14 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi.

I am working on an optical system that should be attached to a camera (Figure 1). The system adds severe field curvature to the generated images. To fix the curvature I tried the method described in the 14th chapter of the book “Introduction to lens design with practical Zemax examples”, which gives an equation to calculate the radius of a field flattener given the material and the Petzval Radius of the system. In this case, Petzval radius = -0.7948. The field flattener radius should have a radius of -0.35mm (Considering the material to be N-SF11), which I guess is impossible to be fabricated. In addition, it would be convenient if this problem could be solved using off-the-shelf lenses so I tried simulating with the most similar lens I found from Edmund Optics, R = -4.71 mm, plano-concave (Figure 2). But the Petzval radius did not change much (New Petzval radius = -0.8467). Could I add more than one field flattener in the system near the field lenses? Does the solution from the book work for this problem? Is there another way I could tackle this problem? I appreciate it if anyone could give a hint on how to reduce the field curvature in this case.

System before adding the field flattener
System after adding the field flattener

icon

Best answer by Andrey.Pravdivtsev 14 October 2022, 16:34

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Add a lens (or several) and optimize it parameters to have good MTF over the field. It can give a flat image surface.