Converting surfaces to a black box generates "Pupil Ray TIR" error

• 26 February 2021
  • 2 replies

I want to give a customer access to a Zemax model, while hiding our proprietary optimizations. I have previously used the Black Box feature to do this with no issues, with other clients and with similar models.

The customer does not have access to Optics Studio 20, so I downgraded my installation to version 16 and created the black box. The file that Zemax generates to hold the black box gives the error 'Pupil Ray TIR' and will not update. The model only has reflective optics, so there is no refraction at all. I was able to successfully create the black box and open it in Optics Studio 20, but this will not work for the client.

Are there any suggestions for solving this problem?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Ben

Have you tried creating the blackbox with the latest version? I am just asking in case the behaviour is different.

The error message seems to indicate that the software cannot fill the entrance pupil with rays. Where is your STOP position? Could you try to define the STOP as the entrance pupil diameter, I mean before the blackbox? You can check where the entrance pupil is under Analyze...Reports...Prescription Data. 

Let us know if this helps.

Sandrine

Thanks Sandrine,

I originally generated the black box in version 20, and tested it before sending it to the customer. I only downgraded after the customer complained about the TIR error.

I will try to manipulate the STOP position.

Thanks.