Solved

Condenser Lens Optimization Question

• 30 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Zemaxer,

I am trying to follow Mark’s tutorial on the condenser lens optimization Projectors Part 3: Condenser Lens - YouTube (Figure.1). When setup the initial layout, I found that I am a bit struggled with:

In Mark’s video despite that surface 5 was set as STOP, it was never displayed as the stop in the simulation...but for my setup, once the surface 5 is used as STOP, the icon in layout is a “stop aperture” and the “Clear Semi-Diameter” became a fixed value….(see Figure.2 my settings).

Can someone please spot the mistake I made here?? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 15 November 2023, 19:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Yadong.Wang,

I don’t manage to give you a full answer. But, the reason your STOP has a fixed value is because you are using an aperture type: Float By Stop Size in the System Explorer. That means the aperture stop of your system is directly controlled by the Clear Semi-Diameter of the STOP. In the video that you linked, we don’t see the System Explorer, so I can only guess what aperture type Mark used. It’s definitely not Float By Stop Size, otherwise you’d have the same issue, and during the optimization, the entrance pupil diameter (ENPD) in the blue ribbon at the bottom of the screen changes quite dramatically (from 87.5243 to 388.047), so not Entrance Pupil Diameter. I wouldn’t use Image Space F/# because Mark seems to control the exit pupil with his REAY operands. That leaves us with Object Space NA, Paraxial Working F/#, or Object Cone Angle. And at this point, it would be best to ask the man himself. @Mark.Nicholson would you please do us the favor?

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

Hi @David.Nguyen , 

Thank for your analysis. Mark’s tutorial is very helful...I just feel that he assumed that the audiences are at experienced as him. Haha😁. 

All the best with the job hunting!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just saw this…let me have a look and I’ll reply fully

Userlevel 1

Hi @David.Nguyen  and @Mark.Nicholson ,

In Mark’s following NSC tutorial Projectors Part 5: Convert to NSC - YouTube where Mark explained that the aperture surface he initially set as floating aperture in the property. It was more like a place holder (dummy surface) in his initial system.

I initially did not specify the aperture type so in the diagram, the aperture displayed different to what Mark got. 

I guess that, in some ways, I have answered my own question…

Thanks David and Mark!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Sorry, I had forgotten this, and I don’t have access to my PC today. I think I may have used Telecentric object space in the aperture definition in this file. Did I do so? - M