Complex Design in Zemax

• 1 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear Sir/Madam,

I want to make a complex design in Zemax. That design is light guide/pipe, with rectangular face at entrance side and circular face at other side, to meet this requirement which surface type in zemax I can use?

I am attaching the layout of the desired design for the reference…

Thankyou. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Chandan,

If its a light guide, I wouldn’t recommend a surface as this would imply using the sequential mode. While it might be possible to do a light guide in sequential mode, I’d advise to start with a non-sequential model, unless you are limited by a particular sequential analysis.

One thing I noticed from your screenshot is that the object seem to be modelled somewhere already. In non-sequential, you can use CAD objects. If you can export your model to a *.step file for example, you can use it right away.

Another question for you is whether this object needs to be optimized, or is it static and you just want to analyse it. If you want to optimize its shape, what parameters are the variables? Also, can you tell us how the square is mapped on the circle? The four corners in the rectangle of your figure seem to fall randomly on the ellipse. Can you give us the equation that allows one to go from the rectangle to the ellipse? Depending on the complexity of your object you might have to resort to a user-defined object. This means you might need to program your own object in a DLL that is read by OpticStudio.

Hopefuly this give you some clues to get started. If you tell us more about this object and the application you are interested in we can further tailor our explanation and even review how to program a DLL, should that be necessary.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear Sir,

It is true, this design already I am having as .STEP file, also I was able to open it in ZEMAX. Problem is, I want to do the ray tracing for this particular shape(with keeping the sufraces of this complex shape reflective), and want to see how light is coming out for the exit end. Also I want to see how the light output is changing with the diameter and position of the exit end(circular one). 

To perform above things, I want to design it in ZEMAX only, so I can change the parameter easly and do the ray tracing! Is it possible? 

Thankyou.