Solved

combining 2 objects with one having variable dimensions for optimization

• 14 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I need to attach a lens object to the face of a CPC with variable thickness for optimization.  I have the z-position for the other face of the CPC and the thickness is variable.  The z position of the lens should be the z-position of the CPC + thickness.  How can I enter this in the Component Editor properties?  

I will also need to set the Clear and Edge of the lens to be the same as the CPC front face which I think is the radial aperture plus length times the tangent of the angle.  Is there an easier way to measure this and how is this input into the component editor?

Thanks,

Niel

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 19 April 2023, 13:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @NielMcC !

You can set the reference object, so the local coordinate of the lens to be the CPC. then use a pick up solve:

For the Clear and Edge aperture of the lens, you can make a ZPL solve or use a merit function:

Let us know if you need more help on this.

Badge

Thank you Sandrine for this.  I was able to use the pick up to get the z location for the element in front of the CPC.  I understand the equation that you set up in the merit function (I am not as familiar with setting up ZPL macros yet) but want to see how the equation in the merit function drives the clear and edge values in the standard lens.  I see it calculates it.  Do I need to manually add these resulting values into the editor?

Thanks again,

Nathaniel

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

HI @NielMcC 

The merit function just reports the value for now.

But you can also use to set a value. For example, you could set the Clear / Edge of the lens to be equal with a pick-up solve and then set one of them as a variable. You can then report that value in the merit function and then use the DIFF operand to make the difference between that value and line 6 with a weight of 1.

When you optimize, the optimizer will change your clear aperture to be equal to line 6.

Does that help?