COATING OPTIMIZATION

• 16 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new at opticstudio, i need some guidence for the lense data in case for coating optimization problem.

my system made of only of BK7 glass with thickness of 50 mm with 5 layer of custom coating (as you can see below) on surface 1, which i would like to analyze and reach the minimum reflection vs. wave length as possible. In the lens data (pic below) you can see the parameters i have put (i don't know if thay are o.k...) my problem is that the optimization process is taking too long and it's not a complicated system at all, and i am not converging to solution, and the error i got is very large.

I need your recommendation what can i do here to make it work? 

thank you everyone! 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey Daniel,

It depends on what kind of coating optimization you want to do. OpticStudio is not intended for the initial design and synthesis of a coating prescription. For that, you should look at the Essential Macleod or other good thin-film coating design program.

What OS does do, and is unique in as far as I know, is to adjust a coating prescription for the exact angles of incidence and wavelengths of use. It does this by using multipliers on the thickness, index and extinction of the coating layers:

The goal here is to tailor an existing lens prescription to a specific optical design, and as I said earlier it is not intended to generate a coating design in the first place. OS can also be used to study the effects of tolerances in coating manufacture as well.

You should check out the Help on this feature:

and then dive in. As long as you're using this for the detailed design and analysis of an existing coating, you should really enjoy this capability.

- Mark