Solved

Coating file for Germanium in LWIR

• 29 December 2021
  • 2 replies

• Monochrome
  • 2 replies

I am designing a lens assembly in LWIR with germanium and other IR materials like Gasir, ZnSe and Zns. I want to light transmission and other analysis which requires AR coating (as the bare materials reflects more). I didn’t find a suitable Coating file in zemax coating catalog? Is anyone can suggest how to do the analysis in opticstuido or where can I find the AR coating file? Kindly help in doing the analysis

icon

Best answer by David 30 December 2021, 19:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello JHK,

OpticStudio allows coatings to be defined in several ways and added to the coatings file. One way is to explicitly define the film stack. To use this, you would need to know the film stack in terms of materials and thicknesses. Design of coatings of this type is typically done using thin film design programs like Essential Mcleod. It is a specialized discipline.

OpticStudio also allows coatings to be defined in terms of their optical behavior. An IDEAL coating is specified by transmission and reflection. An IDEAL2 coating is similar but also specifies polarization and phase. A TABLE coating is similar to IDEAL2 but also allows angle dependence to be specified. Details on the format for these definitions are covered in the help system.

Unless you can obtain specifications for suitable coatings, your best alternative might be to use one of these methods to at least model the coating performance you require.

Thank you very much for the reply and is very helpful.

I was thinking about the general file for LWIR wavelength range as NIR has this. I will take your suggestion and try to do both the options you have mentioned