Solved

Can't Open Black Box Data

• 7 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Received lens data from lens supplier, this error happened a few times when file opens. 

We receive these files from overseas, it is difficult to resolve unless we know what is wrong with their black box lens data.  We are not normal Optical Studio users.  I can't communicate a problem if there isn't more information.  

If we knew what excatly, Zemax can't understand in the file we could try and fix or change; but

'Can't open Balck Box data BackBox1.zbb' 

doesn't tell us anything. Any advice??  We are stuck. 

error_when_openeing.jpg
icon

Best answer by Ali H 8 September 2020, 10:49

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

Hi Aron,

The Zemax Black Box file needs to placed in the following location:

\Documents\Zemax\BlackBoxes

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Best,

Ali

Hi Aron,

I am also having this issue and am unable to load a supplier’s black box model despite it being in my \Documents\Zemax\BlackBoxes directory. 

I’m not sure if this problem is with the actual file itself because I can load other black boxes in the same folder just fine.

Thank you,

Jin K.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Jin, have you checked your capitalization? The file name capitalization does matter. I’d also recommend removing spaces or other special characters from the file name.

If that doesn’t help, you could share the black box file here in the forum or in a support ticket so others can verify if we can get it to work. 

I am having the same issue. they are in the black box folder and the naming is correct. But I was not able to upload. 

Help please. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Abdullah. I find that I’m unable to download your attachment, which is odd. I’m wondering if it’s related to the fact that you have a “.” in the file name before the extension. This could also be the reason that your file won’t load as a black box. I’d recommend renaming the file without a “.” so that it’s “VS-LDV16_007x_BlackBox” and then see if you’re able to get it to load properly.

Hello Alissa;

I am sending you the zip file without the dot in the name. I tried your trick. and removed the dots from black box file names and from the names of the surfaces inside the zemax file to match them. It did not work. So still any  help is appreciated. kind regards. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear Jin,

I have also the same problem and as in your case the files were sent from an overseas company (Japan) whereas I sit in Europe.

Could it there be an incompatibility between the japanese and english Versions?

Thanks

Best regards

Gabriele