Solved

Can't insert object from part designer

• 22 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello together,

I can not import a object I designed in the Part Designer.

When I want to add it to the non-sequential component editor the option 'Type: CAD Part: Zemax Part Designer' is not visible.

Does anyone have a solution for this? 

Thank you very much.

Sincerly,

Christian Bründl

frageforum.png
icon

Best answer by Berta.Bernad 22 April 2021, 17:43

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Christian,

This object is only available in the Premium Edition of OpticStudio, so if you are using a Professional License, you’ll need to first save the part as a .ZPO file and then export it using the “Export As” function from the “File” dropdown in the Part Designer Tab:

And then import it in the Non-Sequential Component Editor using the “CAD Part: STEP/IGES/SAT” object.

Best,

Berta

Hi Berta,

thank you very much!

Best

Christian

Hi @Berta.Bernad - I’m also working in Opticstudio Professional… if I import a CAD object as you’ve described, am I still able to optimize certain parameters of the object, or does in need to be a “part designer object” to use this function?

For example I designed a parabolic concentrator in part designer and I’d like to optimize the outer curvature of the collector. Can I set this as a variable parameter even if I save as a .ZPO, then reimport as a CAD Object: STEP?

Thanks

Never mind - I found an article that says you can not optimize a CAD part without Premium edition….