Solved

Can I model a fiber optic system in OpticStudio?

• 11 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I want to be able to build a system that allows me to model the coupling of a laser to my fiber optic, as well as the subsequent ray propagation through the fiber. Can this be done in OpticStudio?

icon

Best answer by Allie 11 February 2019, 18:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

In OpticStudio, it is possible to model the coupling of single or multimode fibers as well as the propagation along a multimode fiber where it is treated as a light-pipe (supports many transverse modes). The coupling would need to be modeled in Sequential Mode, and the analysis feature required would depend on the number of modes that the fiber can support: one (use Single-Mode Fiber Coupling), two, three or a complex mode pattern (use Physical Optics Propagation) and many (Geometric Image Analysis; Multi-Mode Coupling).

While OpticStudio has many tools for simulation fiber coupling, the software is not designed for simulation of propagation along a fiber. The propagation along a fiber can be modeled in Non-Sequential Mode or using Mixed Mode through employment of TIR, but there are limitations inherent to the ray tracing algorithm preventing the simulation of long propagation distance. The most important of these is the current maximum of 4000 allowed ray interactions, meaning a single ray can only interact with objects in the system 4000 times before error-condition termination.

Userlevel 1

Hi Mam.Allie

Any demo video or article available on Propagation through fiber ?  Kindly let me know 

Regards

Ebinesh