Solved

Can I import interferometer data into my system?

• 19 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I'd like to take data directly from an interferometer and input the measurement data into my system in OpticStudio. Can this be done?

icon

Best answer by Allie 19 February 2019, 19:47

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Most interferometric fringe analysis software can export data in a format that OpticStudio can import. The two most common formats are:

• as a Zernike surface. OpticStudio supports several different sets of Zernike coefficients, and you should consult the fringe analysis software's manual as well as the OpticStudio manual to see which is appropriate for your interferometer.

• as a Grid Phase surface, in which the phase is written out as a {x,y} grid of points.

In both cases, data can be imported into OpticStudio by adding a surface of the correct type, opening the Surface Properties...Import section within the Lens Data Editor, and selecting the data file from the interferometer software. The data file must have the extension .DAT.

Whatever surface type is used, the surface should be placed at a pupil plane, and the semi-diameter of the surface should correspond to the size of the surface or wavefront under test. This ensures that the phase is correctly added to the optical system.

Badge

Can the data be applied to a surface other than a pupil plane?  For instance, I have measured interferometric data for multiple fold mirrors in my system that are not located at pupil planes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Taylor,

Are you able to get the interferometer data for the fold mirror surfaces as a Grid Sag or Zernike Standard Sag? If so, you can simply replace the Standard Surface fold mirror with the Grid or Zernike Surface and put a 'mirror' material on it.

Kaleb

Can a Grid Sag surface be applied to a refractive surface? I have a simple lens that has had its surfaces measured with a Fizeau interferometer. If I convert the .INT file into a .DAT grid sag file, can I use this as one of my lens surfaces? From the help file info, it looks like the grid sag surface only works on a mirror surface.