BUG in Physical Optics Prop Irradiance units

• 6 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Why does Physical Optics Prop irradiance use the watts per (lens units)² rather than the Units/Analysis Unit: Watts per (units specified)²?  My lens is in millimeters, but I need watts/cm² for the Physical Optics irradiance scaling.  I select Watts per cm² in the Units/Analysis Unit:, but the irradiance stays in Watts per mm².  Same if I select Watts per in² or any other irradiance unit.  Seems like a bug to me.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your question here!

Analysis units only affects data as displayed on detectors collecting light from sources defined in the Non-sequential Component Editor. If you want to change the unit, simply adjust the Lens unit.

Best,

Sean

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

No, irradiance power density units should be independent of lens units.  I should be able to have a lens in millimeters, centimeters, inches or meters and still be able to plot POP outputs in watts/cm², or any other irradiance unit needed, independent of lens units.  Most laser intensity and damage data is normalized to w/cm², for example.  Please don’t just blindly defend the way Zemax is doing this now.  This is a programming bug, please fix.

Also, there’s another bug in POP on the graphical output:  On Beam Definition, the Waist X and Waist Y values are apparently the waist radius, not diameter (which is conventional).  The Cross X and Cross Y plots agree with the inputs made to the X,Y waists.  However, the Beam Width X and Y values are half the plotted values.  If I enter X,Y waist values of 1.5, the beam width should be 3.0, which would agree with the Cross X,Y plots.  Instead, I’m getting Beam Widths of 1.5.  Either the output should be labeled Beam Waist X and Y, or the Beam Width should be double the waist inputs.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I agree with Mike on this. In the past, I have often needed to transfer OS data to Mathematica to make a graph suitable for use in a client report. The units, along with the title, axes labels, tick marks and ranges should be customizable.

The issue of widths reminds me of a request I made long ago. In optics calculations and specifications, there are various usages of angles and half-angles, diameters and semi-diameters and radii. I would like to see “size” and “width” banished from OS documentation and replaced by terms which make it clear whether whole or half is meant.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Mike and David

In the software, all of our laser quantities are half-values. So the beam size is the beam radius and the divergence is the half angle.

I will write down a feature request and will share it with the product team. We have a plan to work on lasers next year so this would be a good time to revisit this. Even if changing words and documentation don’t seem like a huge work, it has to be done thoughtfully.

Sandrine