Solved

Analysis tools for evaluating a line focus

• 13 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I don’t see any tools to evaluate a line focus…

• OPD fan requires scaling both X and Y fans.  The scale cannot be changed to “zoom in” on the OPD for the focus axis.
  • FFT PSF won’t work either b/c it operates on the 2D WFE at the pupil
  • Huygens suffers from the same limitations as the FFT PSF

The best I can do right now is extract the OPD from the text of the OPD fan.  I can then evaluate the RMS WFE and even FFT it myself to produce an aberrated PSF.

Is there a better way?

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 18 October 2021, 14:49

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Brian,

I don’t know if this helps, but from what I can see in the implementation of the OPD Fan in the ZOS-API, it returns a Data Series. That means, if you use the ZOS-API, you don’t need to parse a text-file, you could directly read it from the analysis (much faster). I had the issue in the past that some analysis would return a Data Series which was basically empty, and I’m not on my work laptop so I can’t check for this one, but in general when an analysis has the Data Series, usually it isn’t empty.

Hope this helps, and take care,

David

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

David,

Thanks for the tip.  I’m well versed in the ZOS-API, so I can use that as you described. 

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Brian,

I had a look and basically what we have been recommending users in the past is to utilize a Paraxial XY surface so that you can focus the rays which are not coming to a focus while your focusing rays are unaffected.

Below is the quote in full:

“Because the system is afocal in one direction and focal in the other, you will need to evaluate this in two configurations. The way to handle this is to use a Paraxial XY surface to create each configuration. In one config you set focal mode, and set the paraxial XY to focus the afocal component, and vice-versa in config 2. You can then look at each slice in its correct focal/afocal units.”