Solved

Absorption of photons in silicon

• 5 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi, i’m new to Zemax and i’m finding some problem for my application. 

I have four rectangular volumes: a layer of aor, a layer of f.silica and a layer of silicon and another layer of air one over the other.

I generate photons with a specific wavelength in the fused silica layer with a given angle towords the silicon layer. I want to study the absorption of photons in silicon and the fraction of reflected photons.

However when i trace a given ray, it is propagated in all the system and i don’t see any absorption. (It just moves between the f. silica and silicon layer back and forth). 

The question is : is the photoelectric absorption taken into account automatically be zemax or not? And why do I see infinite reflections?

Another important thing is that silicon is not modeled in my range of interest (400-700 nm) (INFRARED catalogue) and i copied the catalogue in order to extend the refractive index parametrization to my range of interest. Is there another way to do this? And could this influence the fact i don’t see absorption?

Sorry for all these questions, thack you in advance.

icon

Best answer by Önder.Sönmez 6 April 2022, 08:02

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi, i’m new to Zemax and i’m finding some problem for my application. 

I have four rectangular volumes: a layer of aor, a layer of f.silica and a layer of silicon and another layer of air one over the other.

I generate photons with a specific wavelength in the fused silica layer with a given angle towords the silicon layer. I want to study the absorption of photons in silicon and the fraction of reflected photons.

However when i trace a given ray, it is propagated in all the system and i don’t see any absorption. (It just moves between the f. silica and silicon layer back and forth). 

The question is : is the photoelectric absorption taken into account automatically be zemax or not? And why do I see infinite reflections?

Another important thing is that silicon is not modeled in my range of interest (400-700 nm) (INFRARED catalogue) and i copied the catalogue in order to extend the refractive index parametrization to my range of interest. Is there another way to do this? And could this influence the fact i don’t see absorption?

Sorry for all these questions, thack you in advance.

Hello Nicola Nicassio

*To the best of my knowledge, photoelectric absorbtion has to do with photonics and I am not sure whether Zemax has this related feature. 

*If silicon material does not reflect the properties you want, you may try adding your own custom material into the catalogue. By this customization you can change the “Minimum Wavelength - Maximum Wavelength” settings. 

You can reach out the article found in Zemax Knowledgebase page below;

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005576942-How-to-add-new-materials-and-glasses-in-OpticStudio

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Nicola

Thank you Onder for your helpful reply.

You can check the Transmission of the material in the Material catalog under:

The Infrared catalog is a group of infrared materials and the data comes from different literature articles. Check our help file for more information. So you might need to change the material to your own need. Let us know if you find a good reference.