Solved

2nd order aspheric term in Zemax

• 20 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

Dear Optics Experts,

while manufacturing an aspheric lens, I wondered why Zemax has the second order term, i.e. the r^2 term, in the aspheric surfaces, which is also in the help pdf? Other definitions of aspheric surfaces leave out the r^2 term, which seems to make sense to me, as the r^2 term seems to closely interfere with the spherical radius. This becomes then a bit confusing also towards the manufacturers. Is there an advice when to use this 2nd order term in aspheric optimization? Also when to use a (or only a) conic term?

Also the tool Best Asphere does not use the 2nd order term.

Thanks you for the advice!

Markus

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 21 January 2022, 00:11

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The second order term is redundant if R and k are used, and you should use either (R, k) or a^2. It’s present so you can use a pure polynomial definition of the surface, which is useful when designing freeforms as distinct to aspheric deviations from a base sphere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think the r^2 term in the polynomial expansion is largely superfluous and can typically be ignored.  Here is what Bentley and Olson say in The Field Guide to Lens Design:

Although as Mark noted, including the r^2 term and using only the polynomial expansion may be useful for some applications.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yep. I think if the designer’s mindset is to produce a small deviation from a base conic asphere, a^2 should be ignored. That’s the typical case when trying to knock down the spherical etc. But if you’re designing a wilder asphere, where the curvature (power) at the vertex is not expected to be an approximate placeholder for the power elsewhere along the sag, then ignore R and k and just use the polynomial terms.

If the radius of curvature isn’t a good approximation to the best-fit sphere, or if there is no meaningful best-fit sphere, then ignore R and k and just use polynomials.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s interesting to note, though, that most smart phone camera lens patents disclose wild aspheres that are described by a base radius, conic, and polynomial terms starting with r^4.  I don’t have enough experience in this space to know whether there is a fundamental reason for doing so, or if it’s just a matter of convention.  In any event, here’s one example that I think may have been used in the iPhone 4S.

Although, in general, there appears to be varied opinions about when to set k=0.  For example, attached are a few pages about aspheres from Lens Design: A Practical Guide by H. Sun.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I do agree, but the original question was why does OS have the r^2 term when it is redundant with R and k. The answer is: to give you the flexibility to use either approach. Just don’t use them both at the same time :grin:

Userlevel 2

Thanks to both of you! Great discussion and very helpful!

Markus

Yep. I think if the designer’s mindset is to produce a small deviation from a base conic asphere, a^2 should be ignored. That’s the typical case when trying to knock down the spherical etc. But if you’re designing a wilder asphere, where the curvature (power) at the vertex is not expected to be an approximate placeholder for the power elsewhere along the sag, then ignore R and k and just use the polynomial terms.

If the radius of curvature isn’t a good approximation to the best-fit sphere, or if there is no meaningful best-fit sphere, then ignore R and k and just use polynomials.

Small question on this, how would one just use the polynomials in Zemax? (ie: how do I start a design without putting in some radii)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Rick,

You could just start with parallel plates and let the optimizer do the work. Or, think of the a^2 term as the curvature of a parabola. Depends on how much data you have at the start, of course. But it’s the same issue with any freeform surface or complex polynomial. 

I wouldn’t make too much of this though. The original poster asked why the r^2 term was there, and this is why. The vast majority of people use R and k and omit a^2, especially when using an asphere for higher order aberration control.

• Mark