Malwarebytes flagged RIHWSTY31.DLL as malware.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Why did Malwarebytes flag and quarantine RIHWSTY31.DLL as malware?  See attached screensnap.  Is it a valid DLL or did malware somehow get attached to OpticStudio?  Need to know whether to keep in quarantine or release it.

Thanks, Mike

malwarebytesflaggedzemaxdll.jpg

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I got the same thing this morning Mike, and raised it with support. So far I have kept it in quarantine, and everything seems to work without it. 

- Mark

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello! 

I've also installed Malwarebytes and got the same thing. It's not an actual malware detection, it based on their behavior database. They must have recently updated it. The code in that DLL is triggering it. We have used those DLL's for many years for reading Radiant model data. Mark told us he has reported it to Malwarebytes as a false positive so hopefully they will mark these as safe soon. 

You can safely remove these from the malwarebytes quarantine in the meantime. 

Best Regards,

Don Dickinson,

Zemax Customer IT support

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Malwarebytes just confirmed the false positive and their next update (every two hours, or something like that) will not report this any more. Seems safe to release from quarantine.

Gotta say, I love Malwarebytes. Strongly recommended to anyone who uses Windows.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks everyone, great responses. Let's pulse Malwarebytes and see when they update.  So much better to be safe than sorry.  I'm glad Zemax didn't get intercepted and infected. Agree on Malwarebytes, I've been using it for years.  Mike

Userlevel 3
Badge

Morning all!

I updated MalwareBytes and rescanned this morning and no issues found, so it appears this is already fixed. 

Best regards,

Don D