DLL (Surface Scatter) Non-Sequential Lambertian Depolarizer

• 27 June 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This Surface Scatter DLL models a Lambertian scattering and contains a depolarization fraction parameter to depolarize part of the scattered rays. That DLL is a good example to demonstrate how to control the electric field and how to implement importance sampling. The code is based on "{Zemax}\DLL\SurfaceScatter\Lambertian.DLL".

Click here to download

Date Version OpticStudio Version Comment
2019-01-13 1.0 - Creation

2 replies

Incredible DLL! It was the very 1st search result and exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for sharing!

I noticed if one sets the depolarization factor to 0, there are no scattered rays. I would have expected all beams to be present, just dominated with initial polarization.

Interestingly, the issue seems to be solved if one adjust the other confusing parameter, 'Transmission’ (which also works in reflection!). For instance, if one fixes it to 1, then whatever is set on the depolarization, seemingly correct ~50% proportions are detected in the two polarizations.

If I understand the DLL correctly, wouldn't it be more straightforward to call the variable not 'Transmission’ but 'Unaffected fraction’? Or am I misunderstanding the algorithm?

Kind regards,

Kris