Tessellation on curved surface on NSC object STEP output

• 22 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a lenslet array (type 1) design in NSC mode and would like it to be converted to a STEP file. I've tried so far but it the CAD version of the array is tessellated across the front surface making lots of flat edges rather than a curved surface, which means it would be difficult to get a mould of this if it were to be prototyped - is there a way to reduce the tessellation so that the surface is much smoother in CAD? 

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Craig,

You can improve the resolution increasing the drawing resolution in the object properties (at the expense of computation time):

Then, if you export it as a STEP file, the surface should appear smoother.

I hope it helps but let us know if not!

Berta

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey Craig, I think there's a better way to do what you want.

The Lenslet objects were created before we had the Array object, and although they are easy to use, you have to export them as a bunch of triangles, as you've discovered. It would be better to use a single lens object, and then use the Array object to form the, well, array of lenses. This is faster to raytrace and uses less memory, but the big benefit comes on CAD export as you can export the smooth (non-tesselated) NURBS object of the lenslet once, and then just recreate the grid of them in the STEP file.

Some people export only the single lens, and then re-form the array in their CAD program along with whatever edge structure is needed for the mechanical design, and then bring the final object back into OS to confirm it ray-traces correctly. 

- Mark