Solved

Potential glitch in full-field aberration plot.

• 2 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am running the current version (21.1.2) of Optic Studio Professional (Serial Number 29487).  When I run a Full-Field Aberration plot with a tilted/decentered surface, I get an “Insufficient Memory Available” message.  You can verify this by tilting and/or decentering the secondary mirror in your Hubble prescription in the Samples folder.  Also, if I remove the tilt/decenter, the plot comes back and shows only the lower half of the field of view.

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 3 April 2021, 21:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey Malcolm,

I tried this and I think the issue is that the chief ray cannot be traced. I'm not sure why the error message is insufficient memory, though. If you reduce the tilt/decenter such that the chief ray traces, the full field aberration works fine. 

Note this behavior is true of all plots that depend on the chief ray as a reference: OPD, wavefront, Seidels etc. I suspect the insufficient memory message is bogus, or the calculation is running out of memory because the chief ray is not traceable. In any case, if you have a system with a traceable chief ray, all is fine.

- Mark

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Malcom and Mark

I believe Mark is right and the issue is that the chief ray can't be traced. This analysis is based on the ZERN operands and if you insert one in your merit function, it will display an error saying the chief ray cannot be traced. I will report it to our developers.

This means that to be able to use that plot, you will need to modify the system so that the chief ray can be traced.

Sandrine

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Malcom

Our developers have modified the error message and the fix will be in 21.2 The error message will be

Sandrine