Solved

off-axis parabolic mirror (NSC)

I’d like to change a general spherical mirror into a off-axis parabolic mirror to avoid astigmatism. 

In order to do this, I input ‘-1’ as conic 1 parameter as you can see following image.

But It doesn’t work at all…. 

Could you help what did I missed?

icon

Best answer by Allie 10 June 2022, 23:35

View original

2 replies

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

As you said, I replaced it with an off-axis mirror.
Still could not overcome the problem of astigmatism.

Can you give me some hints to solve the astigmatism problem?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Nanday

Looking at your file, I see the rays are striking your optic at the center of the optic, directly upon the local axis of the object:

Consider the sag profile of the Standard Lens type, as shown below:

If we plot this equation for k = 0 and k = -1, then we will see that for your aperture, the sag profiles are essentially the same:

It is only at large values of “r” that we start to see some deviation, as shown below here:

It is for this reason that an off-axis mirror is typically used at some point offset from the local axis origin.

In Sequential Mode, we can achieve this through the use of an aperture decenter and/or Coordinate Break surface, as is shown in the sample file C:\...\Zemax\Samples\Short course\Advanced Optical System Design Using OpticStudio\OAP_OSDUZ.zmx.

In Non-Sequential Mode, I would suggest switching to the Off-axis Mirror object type. This object type lets us define the surface sag, as well as the surface offset as discussed in the following forum post:

Try out that alternative object type and see if you can get the performance you’re after. Let us know if you have any other questions!