Solved

Configure reflections from detector in non-sequential mode

• 18 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I want to analyze reflections coming from the focal plane in non-sequential mode. I would like to configure a rectangular detector to, for example, reflect 10% of light and detect (and ideally absorb) the remaining 90%. Is there a way to do this? If I could assign a coating to the detector surface I would use a “IDEAL R10   0.9  0.1”…

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

John

icon

Best answer by Chandan.Maurya 19 July 2023, 07:39

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi John,

You can use a thin mask very close to the detector. One mask surface (front, back) should have specified coating as required (In the attached screenshot front face of the 2nd surface has I.90 (90% T and 10% R) coating). 

While defining the new coating, the angle of incidence should also be taken care.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi John,

You can use a thin mask very close to the detector. One mask surface (front, back) should have specified coating as required (In the attached screenshot front face of the 2nd surface has I.90 (90% T and 10% R) coating). 

While defining the new coating, the angle of incidence should also be taken care.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.

@Chandan.Maurya , thank you for the suggestion. This simple method that accomplishes what I was hoping to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Can’t you just make the Detector a MIRROR and add a coating to it?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can’t you just make the Detector a MIRROR and add a coating to it?

@Mark.Nicholson. This is a good idea.

I have tested this by making a ‘Rectangle’ surface a detector with material set to ‘MIRROR’ and setting the coating to transmit 90% and reflect 10%. A single 1W ray seems to impart all 1W to the detector and the reflected ray has the expected 0.1W…

I may be missing fundamental with the above setup, but the benefit to Chandan’s approach is that the thin mask creates the desired reflection and the remaining energy is detected and can be absorbed which acts more ‘physical’. In this case I see the expected 90% detected and 10% reflected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Did you turn on ‘Use Polarization’?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Did you turn on ‘Use Polarization’?

Hi Mark,

Yes, its the second ‘1’ in row 6 of the merit function.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Oh well, scratch that suggestion 😙