atmospheric dispersion correction

• 23 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I work in  the design of ground based optical systems used in Astrophysics. One effect we frequently have to correct for is atmospheric dispersion. This is relatively straightforward, and in many cases the current atmospheric model built into Zemax is sufficient. However, when working at extremely high resolution (for example in Adaptive Optics) the current implementation in Zemax is not good - the data used to calculated atmospheric dispersion is using data which is out of date - the data from Hohenkerk and Sinclair underestimates the dispersion.

Is there any likelihood this will be updated to more recent data?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David

I did a quick search as I am not familiar with this subject and I found this paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/2103.02273.pdf that describes a technique to update the Zemax model.

'the author introduced a thin prism before the Zemax model to better describe the air refraction with a “gradient 5' surface. The prism apex angle is scaled as a function of the observed zenithal angle Z (see Equation 14).'

Are you using a similar technique? Would you have any other articles to share as a reference?

I can then enter a feature request. An alternative is also to have a look at DLL user-defined surfaces.

Sandrine

Badge

Hi Sandrine,

I have seen this paper, yes.

But... I do know several groups both in the UK and the US who would much appreciate the standard Zemax atmospheric surface corrected from the Hohenkerk and Sinclair data to more up to date data. I know the Spano paper describes how to make the correction, but it would be good if this was built in to Zemax

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David

I'll make a request to the product team. 

Sandrine