Solved

Matlab API, ModifySettings error in POP

• 7 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I'm working with Matlab and trying to use the ModifySettings on a cfg file to update a Physical Optics Propagation analysis but continue to encounter an error. This is my setup so far:

TheSystem = TheApplication.PrimarySystem;

testFile = System.String.Concat('\\...\','myFile.zmx'); %the '...' is my directory

TheSystem.LoadFile(testFile,false);

pop = TheSystem.Analyses.New_Analysis(ZOSAPI.Analysis.AnalysisIDM.PhysicalOpticsPropagation);

pop.Terminate();

pop.WaitForCompletion();

pop_setting = pop.GetSettings();

cfg = System.String.Concat('\\...\','myCFG.cfg');

pop_setting.LoadFrom(cfg);

pop_setting.ModifySettings(cfg, 'POP_PARAM1', 0.010) %Beam Waist in X. 

This last line is where I get my error: 'No method 'ModifySettings' with matching signature found for class 'ZemaxUI.ZOSAPI.Analysis.AS_Default'.' The idea is to run a number of POP analyses for different beam waists, so being able to update the beam waist is necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 7 August 2020, 13:15

View original

2 replies

Hello Csilla,

Thank you for your help, this worked perfectly! I must have missed the that the newValue was a string input in the documentation. I was also looking at the 'ZOS-API using Python' knowledgebase ('# 2.5 Modify Settings Method' section) and the post did not rely on string input for the newValue. 

Thanks again! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello Cesar,

Thanks for your question here!

As discussed in this knowledge base article Basic method of performing system analysis in ZOS-API, there are in general 2 ways that analysis settings can be adjusted. Firstly, some commonly-used analyses have analysis-specific settings interfaces available. An example is IAS_FftMtf. In these cases, all the analysis settings interfaces are located in the ZOSAPI.Analysis.Settings Namespace. You can check if your analysis has a settings interface using the HasAnalysisSpecificSettings property:

my_analysis.HasAnalysisSpecificSettings

Unfortunately, for POP the command returns “0”, which means that the analysis does not have a fully-implemented settings interface available. Therefore the analysis settings cannot be edited via the API but have to be changed through the second option, which is via the IAS_ModifySettings command, which modifies the settings file for the analysis (.cfg file) directly:

The ModifySettings command works very similarly to the ZPL MODIFYSETTINGS keyword, you may find more info in the Help file under:

The Programming Tab > About the ZPL > KEYWORDS (about the zpl) > MODIFYSETTINGS (keywords)

The ModifySettings function and keyword need string inputs, even the new value has to be a string. The problem with your code is that the entered new value is not a string variable. If you change the last line of your code as one of the followings, it will work fine:

pop_setting.ModifySettings(cfg, 'POP_PARAM1', num2str(0.010)) %Beam Waist in X.

or

pop_setting.ModifySettings(cfg, 'POP_PARAM1', '0.010') %Beam Waist in X.

If you have further questions, please let us know and we will be happy to help!

Best,

Csilla