Solved

What does the "thickness aperture" mean in the Annual Aspheric Lens

• 20 October 2022
  • 2 replies

In the creation of “annual aspheric lens”, it mentions that : The aspheric rear face is offset from the front by a thickness measured at a specified radial aperture, which may be zero.  The offset means the thickness.  in the parameter setting, there is a parameter named “ Thickness aperture”.   I am puzzled at the setting of this  thickness.

Is it a thickness along  z axis?   how to calculate the thickness?   what does the “ Thickness aperture” mean here?  How can I relate this “thickness aperture” to the specific geometric figure?  Some times, when changes the value of  “thickness aperture” , the geometric figure does not change at all.  could someone describe this?  Thank you very much.

icon

Best answer by Ethan 9 December 2022, 22:58

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @ruik.Zhang,

The meaning of “thickness aperture” tells OpticStudio at what radial distance you want to define the object thickness. This is best explained with a picture of the cross-section of an Annular Aspheric Lens. Let’s say we have a lens where Max. Front Aperture = Max. Back Aperture = 20 mm and Min. Front Aperture = Min. Back Aperture = 10 mm. If we specify that we want the thickness to be Thickness = 15 mm, then setting the Thickness Aperture = 10 mm will give this result:

If we set the reference for the thickness to Thickness Aperture = 20 mm, we instead get this object:

Hopefully this helps to clarify the meaning of that parameter. Let me know if you have any more questions about the Annular Aspheric Lens.

Best,
Ethan

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you @Ethan. I will add this to our help files.