Solved

Using polarization flag in analysis in NSC

• 25 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello everybody,
for the type of product I am analyzing, I use the NSC environment where I have a LED source, an imported CAD and a detector to detect the luminance (or illuminance) of a system. In my opinion it is not necessary, in my case, to activate the "Use Polarization" flag during the analysis. Can you confirm it?

Thanks a lot.

icon

Best answer by MichaelH 25 October 2022, 19:17

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Luca,

Polarization tracing in both sequential and non-sequential mode will account for both Snell’s Law ray tracing (how the ray physically travels through the system) as well as accounting for the E-Field (intensity and phase of a ray).  You need polarization ray tracing if you can about:

• Fresnel reflections off surfaces
  • Bulk absorption/internal transmission
  • Coherence analysis

Hi Luca,

Polarization tracing in both sequential and non-sequential mode will account for both Snell’s Law ray tracing (how the ray physically travels through the system) as well as accounting for the E-Field (intensity and phase of a ray).  You need polarization ray tracing if you can about:

• Fresnel reflections off surfaces
  • Bulk absorption/internal transmission
  • Coherence analysis

Hi,
thanks for the clear answer. The most classic case for my work is the transmission through turbid polymers exploiting the scatter effect. I suppose it is not necessary to activate the polarization.

A thousand thanks.