Solved

Universal plot!

• 8 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I am simulating a simple polarimeter by rotating the quarter waveplate (qwp) by using multi-configuration. Is there a way that I can use universal plot to create a curve of the system transmission intensity vs. qwp rotating angle? The input will be linear or circular polarized light. Please advise!

icon

Best answer by Bo.Zhao 8 July 2020, 13:47

View original

5 replies

Badge

Hi Alessandra,

Many thanks for your instructions! I have had my simulations working now under your advices. Following your instructions, I created different inputs: linear, circular, and elliptical polarized light. And the simulation results I got match my theoratical calculations. 

Best regards,

Bo

Badge

Hi!

Yes, you can use the Universal Plot to create the plot you describe. For this purpose, you can use optimization operand CODA as a dependent variable Y to report the value of the intensity as a function of the rotating angle. CODA can be used to extract a number of polarization dependent data, please see the following help file section for further details: The Optimize Tab (sequential ui mode) > Automatic Optimization Group > Merit Function Editor (automatic optimization group) > Optimization Operands (Alphabetically).

I hope this helps!

Alessandra

Badge

Hi Bo,

If you want to use any of the global polarization parameters as independent variable X, you'll have to do this through the multiple configuration editor (even if you have only 1 configuration in your file!).

First, use the relevant multi configuration operand. For the global polarization, these are any of the operands that start with GP, as explained in help file section: The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Multiple Configuration Editor > Multi-Configuration Operands

Then, in the Universal Plot settings simply choose to use Config and the appropriate operand as Dependent variable X. For example:

Badge

Hi Alessandra,

Thank you for the advice again! I used CODA and do got the simulation result. But how can I change the input polarized light like that I can change the Jx, Jy, X-and Y-phases in the Transmission Fan in the Polarization analysis? Please advise!

Many thanks!

Bo

Badge

Hi Alessandra,

Thank you for the instruction! I will try to use this optimization operand CODA in universal plot. 

All the best,

Bo