Solved

TEZI without wavefront tilt

• 26 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello,

I’m using the TEZI to model surface irregularity. I’ve set the Zernike terms to be from 4-11, which excludes wavefront tilts. I see that terms 2,3 aren’t populated when I use the SAVE tolerance operand. The RMS wavefront error only matches my MIN/MAX value with tilt removed. I see the large tilt terms when I Zernike fit the toleranced wavefront. Why does the tilt term show up in this case?

Here is a simple file with one mirror surface. On axis only. 0.633nm wavelength. Aperture f/6, EPD

Here is the MAX tolerance file SAVE, without the 2,3 terms in the Zernike standard sag surface but tilts are significant in the wavefront.

The RMS to centroid is 2.08 waves which is close to the 1 wave RMS error input to TEZI in double pass (due to mirror). Why is the RMS to chief so much different? 

I’m probably missing something fundamental…

Thank you,

John

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 30 September 2022, 16:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi John

The TEZI operand adds a RMS error on the sag. I have recreated your file.

In the TSAV_MAX_0001.zos file, I can check the RMS sag error:

This is roughly equal to the error of 6.3284E-4 that we asked for.

But then if I look at the sag cross section, here is what I see:

This means that the chief ray (on-axis) is going to be deviated. That chief ray is used as a reference for the wavefront map.

That reference is defined here:

Let us know if that helps or not.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Sandrine Auriol ,

Thank you for the explanation, it now makes sense. I found that Reference OPD: ‘Absolute 2’ uses the image plane as the reference plane (in afocal mode) and produces “my” expected wavefront error and Zernike fits with no tilt terms.

Thanks again for you help,

John

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Brilliant. Thanks.