Skip to main content
Question

Simulation of Xray propagation using Zemax

• 12 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi,

How do we simulate the X ray transmission in Zemax? I want to simulate an Xray system ( for X ray scanning/screening application). Now we have X ray source, few windows (of material Beryllium, gold, Lead...etc.) in the schematics. Now I’m struggling to model these X ray materials. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & best Regards

Santosh Thumma

6 replies

@SantoshT  did you try adding new materials? 

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005576942-How-to-add-new-materials-and-glasses-in-OpticStudio

Hi Aleksandr,  

Thanks for the reply.

I could motel the material, but I did not have information on ‘dispersion’ or ‘transmission’ of the mentioned materials (Beryllium, gold, Lead). That was the real challenge.

Best Regards

Santosh Thumma

Hi Aleksandr,  

Did you find any update on this?

Best Regards

Santosh T

Hi Aleksandr,  

Did you find any update on this?

no really. I dont work with x-ray.

you need make articles search for it. this is standard materials someone should make such measurements long time ago.

also may be look to x-ray articles where peoples used zemax. may be it give some tips. or may be you can contact them and they kindly share expirience. or you can purchase time of such peoples. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@SantoshT, I would look here for information on x-ray attenuation charts for the materials that you indicated.
NIST X-Ray Mass Attenuation Charts

I would think that you should be able to convert or interpret the plots to give you a transmission table suitable for Zemax.

With regards to dispersion, the index for most materials in the x-ray spectrum is very close to 1; however, there are examples of x-ray refraction lenses made with aluminum, beryllium, etc. I would look at the literature of compound refractive lenses to see how those are modeled. Interestingly, that article says the index of refraction is below unity for x-rays in material and so concave lenses focus the x-rays.

Here are a couple of the sources that look promising,

Beryllium Lens

aluminum, boron carbide, beryllium, pyrographite and Teflon lenses

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@SantoshT :

Take a look at this paper, specifically Section 6:

Modeling of an X-ray grating-based imaging interferometer using ray tracing

Regards,

Jeff