Skip to main content

I have a sequential model that already contains quite a few coordinate breaks. Today, when trying to use the “Tilt/Decenter Elements” button, the software simply closed without an error message after I clicked “OK” on the pop-up window. I now can’t use the function at all without the software crashing. 

I have tried:
- docking all windows
- removing all analysis windows so that only the Lens Data Editor is open
- removing all solves
- using a variant of the same model saved as a separate file (worked for the first element I tried, then crashed after I tried tilting/decentering a few more elements).

It seems to work if I create a simpler lens model that has fewer surfaces and coordinate breaks, or if I create coordinate breaks by adding new surfaces and changing the surface type.

I have checked Windows Task Manager and saw that the CPU usage and memory don't increase during the crash.

I am using version 2023 R1.

@Kel.P 

Any chance you can share this file? It’s rather difficult to troubleshoot if one cannot reproduce the issue.

Good luck with solving this problem, it won’t be easy I guess.

Take care,

David

Hi @Kel.P,

When you are using the “Tilt/Decenter Elements”, are you keeping all the tilt values at 0?  If you’re entering non-zero values, then OpticStudio might be trying to perform a System Update on impossible geometry and crashing.

Another possibility is there are conflicting position solves based on the surfaces that you are trying to add the Coordinate Break pairs to.  Since the “Tilt/Decenter Elements” tool adds surfaces and tries to move Thickness and Material values, there might be a logic error in this step.  Can you try to add Dummy Surfaces before and after the surfaces you want to use with the tool and then use the Dummy Surfaces as your Start and Stop surfaces?

As David mentioned, a file would help a lot.