Solved

Correction lenses for a glass cylinder

• 19 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Dear community,

as part of my bachelor thesis, I’m trying to find a solution to compensate the refraction of a glass cylinder. I’m afraid, I don’t have sufficient time to gain enough skills on the program although I already did many of the tutorials.

During my literature research, I found out, that a pair of mirror-symmetric meniscus lenses should solve my problem. I tried to optimize my model of the optical system (see file), but several tries did not work. :-(

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you,

Elias

icon

Best answer by Sven.Stöttinger 19 January 2022, 14:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Elias,

looking at your Zemax-File the first thing that comes to my mind is to reduce your number of variables. If there are too many variables (like in your case 20 variables), you give your system too much “freedom” without enough boundaries to find a proper solution - unless you have infinite time.

If mirror-symmetric lenses might be an approach to solve your problem, you can use the Solve-Type “Pickup” between the two lenses in order to mirror the radii, diameter, thickness and distance to the glass cylinder, which can reduce your number of variables for the optimization process.

Maybe this helps you to find your solution,

Sven

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Elias

I also had a look at your system and I was wondering… What are you trying to optimize? No merit function is defined. If you are working on imaging, I would go back to sequential since it makes things easier for the software. If you can, post a sketch of what you’d like to do and we will be able to guide you a bit further.

I don’t know if you have seen but we have some good tutorials available for a range of subjects: https://www.zemax.com/blogs/free-tutorials

Hi Sandrine!

Thanks for having a look at my system. In the meantime I took Sven’s advice and reduced the number of variables to 4. My aim is to have the same parallel light rays (as sent out by the source) to reach the detector to find compensation lenses for the glass cylinder (see picture below).

I already did many of the tutorials but don`t have sufficient time to do them all and gain enough skills. So I still have problems with defining merit functions. I am working with the “visual optimization” tool at the moment.

I attached the current version of my file.

Thank you for your help :-)

Elias