Computer Benchmarks

• 13 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi,

I know a lot of people are like me and obsess about the ‘fastest machine for ray tracing’ and such like, so here’s my latest insights 😁

My OpticStudio machine cost ~$2k and is a Dell XPS 8960 from Costco that uses the 13th Gen i7. It shows as having 24 cores, although I don’t know if these are real cores or include ‘hyperthreaded’ cores. My standard test if the OpticStudio Performance Test, using the double Gauss 28 degree field sample file. Nothing special about this design file, but it’s the one I have used since the days of 386 processors and I’m familiar with how the performance ‘feels’ given a specific set of results from the test. I get

I tend to use the middle number, ray-surfaces per second, as the main proxy for performance, so this is almost 900 million RSS. The System Updates number is single-threaded, so it’s a good proxy for how fast a single core is, versus the multi-threaded RSS calculation. I’m very pleased with this. My older laptop, a Lenovo that cost ~$1.5k from Costco, gave 240million RSS.

I’ve started using Mathematica, and it comes with its own Benchmark and this gives

This doesn’t mean anything directly in terms of ray tracing, but is a good test of the computational muscle of the machine and again I was pleased at how well my Dell-from-Costco did.

I also have a Mac Studio with M1 processor, and I know there are other peeps like me who would be keen to run OpticStudio on a Mac if a version were available. Fortunately Mathematica is available as a native M1 application, so I ran the test and got:

So the Wolfram benchmark for the M1 machine is 4.81, again very impressive. But my steam Dell gives 5.02, and cost ~$2k versus $3.5k for the Mac (I’m worth it). So it’s likely that any Mac version of OS would run slightly slower on ~1.75 time more expensive hardware. Bad news for Apple fanbois like me. We would, of course, insist on the Mac version being better in so many other, yet indefinable, ways. 

One last thing. The Dell comes with an nVidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, a reasonably respectable gaming card. Not top end, but still very good. It has little impact on OpticStudio performance, except that the editors are much more responsive. I can’t really tell much difference between the Normal and Express views of the editor. The Express is still the faster of the two, as expected, but it’s a lot less functional for not a lot of perceived user speed. So the advice I’ve been giving for years about the graphics card not being that important as long as it supports DX11 (which they all do now) is not as true as it once was. It does seem a better graphics card has more impact on the Normal view of the editors. No discernible difference for Analysis window graphics, or drawing speed of the layouts however.

• Mark

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Very interesting @Mark.Nicholson. For Solidworks and when it comes to NVIDIA, I know they recommend Quadro GPUs over the gaming series (GeForce):

https://www.solidworks.com/support/hardware-certification/

Do you know if that would matter as well for OpticStudio in any sort of way (perhaps more related to non-sequential mode)?

Take care,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @David.Nguyen, I don’t know, sorry, but my guess is that anything SolidWorks suggests will be good for OS too...just don’t know by how much. The Normal Editor view is now almost as fast as the Express View with the GeForce, and I don’t think anything will make the Normal View faster than the Express View, so if they are faster, it probably won’t matter very much. I didn’t see any improvements in Analysis plots or Layouts, but OS is much simpler than SolidWorks in that regard.

• Mark
Userlevel 3

There’s a good discussion here, particularly the comments by BDube

https://www.reddit.com/r/Optics/s/K4rEL8DRJC

Userlevel 3

Very interesting @Mark.Nicholson. For Solidworks and when it comes to NVIDIA, I know they recommend Quadro GPUs over the gaming series (GeForce):

https://www.solidworks.com/support/hardware-certification/

Do you know if that would matter as well for OpticStudio in any sort of way (perhaps more related to non-sequential mode)?

Take care,

David

Quadro is around 4x more expensive for a given speed.  Maybe in the past there were some compatibility issues with GeForce and SW, but I’ve  never been able to find any real reason.  I think GeForce is fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Certainly, OpticStudio doesn’t currently use the graphics card for any ray-tracing calculations, just data display and UI. That might change in the future, as SPEOS does a lot with graphics cards, and that technology might find its way into OS.

Userlevel 3

Does Zemax use the Intel MKL?  This might be one of the easiest ways to make things faster.  
It came out in 2003, after many core Zemax features were written, so I wonder if it’s used for all the computationally intensive optimization and analysis features? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For comparison, I recieved a brand new desktop with an i9-13900K, the computer costed like $3.5k (also caused by the RTX 4070 Ti, I went with GeForce @PhotonHerder). My performance test result on the double Gauss 28deg is:

It seems the i9 is around 30% faster. The i9-13900K seems to be around $470 and the i7-13900K around $340, almost 30% cheaper.

Unfortunately, I don’t have Mathematica to replicate your tests @Mark.Nicholson. But hopefully it gives people a better feeling for what to expect.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

1.16 Billion RSS...wonderful!