Solved

Aspheric Lens Design

• 23 August 2022
  • 4 replies

I want to design a lens using sequential mode that images a 4.2x2mm rectangle such that the image is 25x12mm, 50mm from the object plane. I know I can use the optimisation functions but am struggling with what type of surfaces to use and what my merit function should be.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by nadav.amitai 24 August 2022, 15:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

This is my file. Sure it’s not the best way but maybe for starting point and for others to correct me.

Edit:

Need to increase the thickness of the last element(9) to avoid large angle and impossible coating.

2mm is good.

Best,

Nadav

Hi Nadav, this certainly achieves what I’m looking for.

2 points: 

is it possible to achieve a similar set up with just one lens?

I’m not massively experiences with the merit function editor, you have 344 rows in this? How did you create them and what exactly are they evaluating? I see each field has a group, but why so many?

Perhaps if you could create a simpler file with just one lens and one group of merit functions I could walk myself through that? Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Best

Alex

Userlevel 1

is it possible to achieve a similar set up with just one lens?

I afriad not. I think the minimum is two lens. Maybe with freefrom you can use only one.

What are you trying to image? I used four lens to achive very good mtf and low distortion.

I’m not massively experiences with the merit function editor, you have 344 rows in this? How did you create them and what exactly are they evaluating? I see each field has a group, but why so many?

The first 14th’ operands were inserted manually.

TOTR, for example, control the distance between the object and the image.

REAY/REAX control the distance from the optical axis for the Y/X height of the image. This is how u get the 4:1 enlargement.

FTGT/FTLT- controling the aspheric thickness and the air distancesFrom the opticstudio help:

Full thickness greater than. This boundary operand constrains the full thickness of surface Surf to be greater than the specified target value. The full thickness is computed at 200 points between the vertex and edge along the +y radial direction

You can remove one operand and see what happend without him. 

Perhaps if you could create a simpler file with just one lens and one group of merit functions I could walk myself through that? Thanks a lot for your assistance.

The other operands were created by the optimization wizard:

Contrast - call for algortithm that optimized the mtf. Rectangular array 6*6 is how many rays are used for each field for the opt proccess.

Again, maybe there is better and faster way to achieve what you want, I am just another user.

Best regards,

Nadav

Userlevel 1

Here with radial symmetry, by calculating the diagonal of the obejct/image using the gaussian quadrature.

edit:

add new file with better preformance. another field was added.