Efficiency Tips & Tricks for OpticStudio

• 2 September 2020
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Move selection when typing into Editors

If you would like to customize the data in multiple cells in any of the Editors, it can be useful to set which direction you would like to move the selection automatically after pressing Enter. If it is one specific parameter you want to edit for multiple surfaces/objects, select Down or Up move. If it is a specific/object surface you want to modify, select Right or Left. Or you can just untick the box, so there is no move in any direction:

Userlevel 4
Badge

I really like '/p' when changing materials. It keeps the power of the lens (i.e. the focal length of the lens) intact when changing the material. This way, you only have to worry about the changes in the aberrations, and not the paraxial focal length of the system.

Below is an example changing a singlet lens from N-BK7 to SF2. /p will automatically change the radius of the lens to accommodate for the index change, to keep the focal length 400mm. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Finally, I use Windows 10 color filter, invert greyscale for long OpticStudio sessions because white screens give me a headache in no time...

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I also like the report tool to display a saved combination of analyses, here is an example:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Here are my keyboard shortcuts!

200903-091913-image.png

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Perform arithmetic operations directly in the cell:

Quite useful to modify parameters and to convert from radius to curvature!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Open the settings before running an analysis: Show Options First

When an analysis takes some time to update, it can be frustrating to wait and especially when the settings are not yours.

But there is a setting in Setup... Project Preferences...Graphics...Show Options First. When it is ticked, the settings box will appear before any analysis graphic or text is computed and displayed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Set many parameters to variables at once

When you have to set many parameters as variables, don't bother setting them one by one.

All you have to do is select them all with your mouse and press ctrl+z!

press ctrl+z!

Isn't that convenient~

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Arrange opened analysis windows by using Window Options

Sometimes, OpticStudio interface will looks a little messy if a lot of floating analysis windows are opened, like figure below:

A method can resolve this issue - using Window Options.There are several options can be selected under Window Options, you can nevigate those option by clicking Setup tab -> Window Options:

For example, if Dock All Windows or Dock All Windows to Single Workspace is selected for those analysis windows, all opened windows will be docked at single workspace with different tabs. If there are multiple windows under similar catagories are opened, dock them in single workspace will be useful:

If your analysis windows are opened for different types of capability and you want to observe them all at sametime, my recommendation is using Tile All Windows option:

For more information about Window Options, you can nevigate to Help Manual section: The Setup Tab > Window Control Group > Window Options

Enjoy OpticStudio!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Re-run macros by updating the Text Viewer

When we run a macro, a Text Viewer window appears. Unless otherwise specified, the Text Viewer will display any PRINT commands. This Text Viewer is now tied to the macro. If we double-click the Text Viewer window (or click the Update button on the window), the macro will be re-run. This allows us to make changes to the macro, save it, and quickly re-initiate the macro to see the results. 

I am attaching a video for reference. Place the macro and Text Viewer side-by-side and you will see that you can quickly update and debug your code!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

In the Project Preferences > Toolbar section, you can set up your own favorites button bar. This way, you don't have to navigate tab-to-tab for the features/analyses you use most.