Solved

Zemax and Power Maps

• 16 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Is it possible for Zemax to input a measured Power Map. The Power Map has been measured on a NIMO TR1504. I would like to assess the difference between the best fit using zernike polynomial power map and the as measured Power Map.

The measured power map is a 2d array of dioptres power values and the x,y coordinates for each can be calculated from pixel number and pixel size. 

icon

Best answer by Mike.Jones 16 January 2023, 17:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Mike’s method works great.

The overall problem is that OpticStudio expects surface sag as input, and you have curvature data. I can see two approaches to using your data:

Outside of OpticStudio, or using ZPL or ZOS-API, integrate your curvature (power) data to get the surface sag. It’s not a simple integration as curvature uses the first and second derivatives of the sag. It’s possible that the makers of your mapping equipment have such a function.

Inside of OpticStudio, use a series of SCUR operands for each pixel location. Enter the measured curvature as the target of each operand, set a weight of 1, and use a Zernike or other freeform-ish surface to set the surface curvatures at each pixel location.

Remember power at any point is (n2-n1)C. For mirror surfaces n2=-n1 so the power is -2C.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I've done something similar to this using ZPL.  The macro reads in all the data, then generates a line-by-line merit function with all the tabular values as CONS target values.  Your Zemax-generated values are next.  The macro then generates DIFF lines between your table values and Zemax-generated values.  You're using Zemax as a 2D curve fitting routine, and it can do that very well.