Solved

what kind of modeling does Zemax support

• 30 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello all, I have a micro optical system of source - material (flat lens + coating) - detector for which some optical characterization is need to be done.

I am using OLED display having each pixel of size 50x50 um, and I need to create an array of such single pixels with various wavelength and position in a plane of the light source to mimic OLED display.

for material, I need to design a flat lens of 6 um having a patterned coating (varied thickness or varied refractive index) of  100 nm. the system is transparent enough to have a transmission function.

and I am using a CMOS sensor to record the responses of each illumination of LED sources in OLED display. 

and each of this is separated by a distance of 1 - 2 mm

now for the challenge, I need to create an exact or close model to this system to know and play with different parameters suggested. I also want to know dispersion and scattering involved in the system. I know for sure we can analyze required parameters on Zemax (either in sequential or non-sequential mode) but I don't know can this be done with such stated magnitudes. If this type of modeling can be achieved using Zemax, please let me know. some tips or suggestions to walk in this path is much appreciated or else feel free to suggest what substitute (software) that I can use to model such systems. 

I am thankful for your time and suggestions.

icon

Best answer by Ethan 21 December 2022, 02:03

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Navaneeth Tejasvi,

I apologize for our delayed response. Zemax OpticStudio can certainly model the device that you describe. You will need to use non-sequential mode to include an array of pixelated OLED sources, as well as to include a number of detectors.

This Knowledgebase article gives a great example of modeling a LCD backlight: How to model an LCD backlight – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

OLED displays are certainly very different from LCDs since they use direct emitters; however, this tutorial link will have some good tips and will give you a general idea of how you might approach layout and display simulation. In the model, you will be able to add various layers, lenses, scattering functions, absorption, etc.

Best,
Ethan