Solved

Question about article in Knowledgebase: Resolution of diffraction-limited imaging systems using the point spread function

• 23 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I used the method 1 from this article (Resolution of diffraction-limited imaging systems using the point spread function) in knowledgebase to calculate the resolution of my optical system, and got some weird results. When distance between two points are 10um, I can see they are two objects (see fig1). However, when the distance increase to 15um, the two objects are not distinguishable ( see fig2). Then if the distance continue increase to 30um, the two objects are distinguishable again.  Do I miss something here? The results don’t make sense to me. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks,

Xiaolei

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 27 September 2022, 15:46

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Xiaolei,

Any chance you can share this file with us for troubleshooting?

The article applies to diffraction-limited systems. It is quite important when using the Huygens PSF. We don’t see in your screenshots but what’s the Strehl ratio reported by the Huygens PSF?

Take care,

David​​​​​​​

Badge

Hi David,

I  am sorry, can’t share the file here, it is confidential design from our group. The strehl ratio for the distance of 10um is 0.05, 0.318 for the distance of 15um, and 0.257 for the distance of 30um. 

Thanks for your insight, David, it help me to understand system resolution with zemax better. I really appreciate your help. 

Xiaolei

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Xiaolei,

The Strehl ratio at 10 um is too low. Below 0.2 I wouldn’t thrust the results of the Huygens PSF. What happens when you try increasing the sampling at 10 um?

Take care,

David

Badge

Hi David,

When I increase sampling to 256x256, the Strehl ratio increase a little bit, but still around 0.05. If I don’t consider the results with strehl ratio below 0.2, then the results make sense to me. Thank you so much for your help.

Xiaolei