Solved

Optimize Configuration Pupil

• 15 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Good morning everybody!

I’m simulating small Keplarian Telescope (Two lens groups + focus inbetween, collimated input and output) in Optic Studio, having a movable mirror in front of it. One of my optimization goals is to have the entrance pupil of the telescope on that mirror, while the exit pupil should be on the aperture of the second lens group. The movement of the mirror is modeled by configurations.
The necessary fields come by the movable mirror, so the entrance pupil on the mirror is already given through the configurations setup. But how would i ideally model the exit pupil between the configurational beams on the output?

I tried to drive the centroid positions (CNPY) to zero in the MF until now, but that is unfortunately not sufficiently exact, since a very small shift of the centroid already shows a quite large shift in z-axis pupil position.

Anybody having an idea how i could better optimize that?

Thank you! :)
Greets!
Jonas

icon

Best answer by Mike.Jones 15 September 2022, 15:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I'm sure there is more than one way to do this, but I use REAX and REAY to build a pupil.  

First, define the plane for the pupil of desired diameter d at surface n. Then find the axial beam y diameter at that plane:

x  REAY n wave 0 0 0 1 d 1

where x is the row in the MFE.

Then force all upper meridional rays through that same point:

x+1 REAY n wave 0 0.5 0 1

x+2 DIFF x+1 x weight 1

x+3 REAY n wave 0 0.6 0 1

x+4 DIFF x+3 x 1

and so forth until hy=1.

Then repeat for lower meridional rays REAY n wave 0 hy 0 -1 with hy=-0.5, 0.6, ..., 1.0 and using SUMM instead of DIFF.

That defines the meridional pupil plane during optimization. Repeat all of the above for the sagittal plane by using REAX, but still using the same hy angles.  That forces the pupil to be circular rather than elliptical.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I'm sure there is more than one way to do this, but I use REAX and REAY to build a pupil.  

First, define the plane for the pupil of desired diameter d at surface n. Then find the axial beam y diameter at that plane:

x  REAY n wave 0 0 0 1 d 1

where x is the row in the MFE.

Then force all upper meridional rays through that same point at different non-zero field angles:

x+1 REAY n wave 0 0.5 0 1

x+2 DIFF x+1 x weight 1

x+3 REAY n wave 0 0.6 0 1

x+4 DIFF x+3 x 1

and so forth until hy=1.

Then repeat for lower meridional rays REAY n wave 0 hy 0 -1 with hy=0.5, 0.6, ..., 1.0 and using SUMM instead of DIFF.

That defines the meridional pupil plane during optimization. Repeat all of the above for the sagittal plane by using REAX, but still using the same hy angles.  That forces the pupil to be circular rather than elliptical.  If you need a screen snap to clarify, let me know.