Solved

How to know elliptical shaped spot diameter?

• 22 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello, 

I had simulated Galvo scanner for beam positioning on square field area. I want to know how can I see beam diameter or radius (in mm) of elliptical shape spot (generate for higher scanning angle). 

icon

Best answer by Ethan 23 December 2022, 04:55

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Hina,

Apologies for the delayed response. In case this question is still relevant or for the benefit of others, I wanted to let you know about the Spot Diagram feature in OpticStudio. Here is an example elliptical shaped beam:

If you select the Text tab at the bottom of the analysis window, you’ll see additional data:

In the Text analysis, you will see that the output not only specifies the RMS Spot Radius, but also the RMS Spot X Size and RMS Spot Y Size. These parameters will help quantify a non-circular spot.

I hope this helps, and you can find more information on the Standard Spot Diagram in the Help File: The Analyze Tab (sequential ui mode) > Image Quality Group > Rays and Spots > Standard Spot Diagram .

Best,
Ethan

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was about to start a separate thread on this question, but will tag onto @Hina’s question.

Yes, in the Spot Diagram analysis Text tab, these parameters are reported.  So they are already calculated by the Standard Spot Diagram analysis feature.

But I would like to be able to use these in a merit function or ZPL Macro (or ZOS-API calculation).  I can find no merit function operands to report these parameters!  Are there??  If not, it should be trivial to add them (since the values are already calculated and reported in the analysis window).

Please let me know if there is a way to extract these values e.g. for use in optimization or in a ZPL Macro (which is the first thing I want to do).

If not, please add this as a high-priority (and easy) Feature Request!

And while you’re at it, could the Standard Spot Diagram calculate and report the major axis angle of an ellipse (or elongated spot, e.g. due to coma), together with the major and minor axis RMS Spot Major Axis Size and RMS Spot Minor Axis Size?  (together with RMS Spot Radius for this tilted blob)

Please add reporting those tilted parameters as a Feature Request, too.

-- Greg

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Greg,

Regarding the Spot Diagram analysis -- the RMS spot size data are available through the ZOS-API.  See Example 22.

I confirmed it works using the Double Gauss 28 degree sample file:

Regards,

Jeff

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

One more comment.  If you want to use ZPL, then GETT is an option:

If you need to evaluate spot size values in the Merit Function Editor via ZPLM, then here’s a discussion of how to use GETTEXTFILE:

Regards,

Jeff

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @PhGeek,

There are Merit Function Operands for the X- and Y- RMS Spot size. Check out this post for more information: OS tips & discussion – Operand to report spot size in X or Y direction separately | Zemax Community

I have flagged your Feature Request for our product team to review; thank you for your feedback!

Best,
Ethan